Tuesday, October 20, 2009

10-20 Thanks Blanco

Hello again! It’s Jamie with another blog post. I’m writing to you now, to report my trip that I had when I visited the Blanco United Methodist Church this past Sunday. I went to Blanco to give my first speech about myself and how my life is going today. When I arrived my Papa Gene and Aunt Betty greeted me. When we walked in I met Ken and Margo who were running congregation. The Sunday ceremony ran like any other ceremony and about halfway I took up about fifteen minutes to speak. I didn’t however, prepare a speech, but at the same time, I wasn’t nervous. I don’t know why I wasn’t nervous; after all it was my first speech. I guess I just knew that everything was going to go smoothly. So the halfway marker came up, and Ken introduced me with a video, that my uncle Dean made, and then I got up in front of everyone to tell my story. Let me add, that it was my fourth day or so, to be walking on my own without a walker. So I stood up and walked by myself up to the front. I definitely feel as if I did touch those that were listening, and I felt a whole great deal of satisfaction after I gave my speech, as if this is my new calling. Standing in front of a microphone was pretty easy, and I did love it. People even did come up to me and told me that I had good public speaking skills and that I spoke very well in front of everybody. It was definitely another good day in my life, and I do know that there will be more speeches in my future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jamie,

The craziest coincidence happened to me today (October 23rd).
I am a student at the University of Texas at Austin and today (Friday) I had a presentation in my Professional Speaking class. The topic I had picked was bacterial meningitis. Throughout my research, I found various articles about your inspiring fight against meningitis, as well as the recent bill that passed, and included some if the information in my presentation.

Later on in the day (about 8:40 PM), I was shopping at Hobby Lobby up on West Anderson and I believe I saw you shopping there. If you saw a girl with a dumbstruck expression while shopping at Hobby Lobby, that was me! I was just in total disbelief at the coincidence, especially because of the fact that I had just given my presentation earlier that day! I wanted to approach you and say hello, but I wasn't sure what you would have thought if a total stranger just came up and bothered you while you were shopping.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well. You are such an inspiration and I hope that by telling your story in my presentation, I made more people at UT aware of the importance of protecting yourself from bacterial meningitis. All the best to you!

-Bernadette