Sunday, April 25, 2010

WORLD MENINGITIS DAY 4/24 - TEXAS MENINGITIS AWARENESS DAY 4/25

It's been quite awhile since I've written and I do miss it and miss everyone - as you can imagine my life and all that it encompasses is always quite busy. So where do I begin. Let's start with our First Annual Bluebonnet Gala - what an incredible success from every imaginable angle. Needless to say we worked our butts off. Our success always lies with the generosity of others. Errocreative (Roni's graphic design company) - Did you see what they produced? OMG - the Save the Date - the invitation (what a job-2500 invites were e sent out), our signage(huge signs), the most beautiful well designed program. The JAMIE Group will be forever grateful. Which brings me to Fastsigns - once again they pulled through with awesome signage. Lindsay Stillman was my rock and a hard worker - she helped us organize the best live and silent auction items ever. You were lucky if you attended and even luckier if you were a auction item winner. Letty Landa helped organize our volunteers. If you saw what we had to deal with well you would know we couldn't have done it without our volunteers - so a BIG shout out to ALL our volunteers. Chef Alma Alcocer-Thomas extraordinaire - the food was beyond belief and once again if you weren't there you missed an awesome array of foods. St Michael's Academy - Amy and Wade were outstanding and of course so patient. Who knew that you could bring such beauty to a high school cafeteria . Our ever so talented emcee Ron Oliveira was perfect and went an extra mile pushing the prices up on the live auction - was a lot of fun. Great Events you were also a great help and as we've said before - we couldn't have done it without you. The Schanbaum / Silva Family always my rock - what can I say. Family is so important to me and I'm blessed to have them by my side. Last but certainly not least my BEAUTIFUL children - Nicholas, KC, Roni and Jamie. God blessed me and I believe I'm the wealthiest mom in the world with all the richest my children bring me. Love them so much. I'm sure I'm forgetting people but know that everyone that we're a part of this successful event will always have a part in my heart.
Despite the fact I have not quite put the gala to rest and that there are still a few details to put a close to it, life goes on. That being said - we've been very,very busy and where do I begin. Jamie got some beautiful, awesome vacuum legs (with coverings). They look great and after a lot of tweaking (and we're still tweaking) she loves them. Every night we must charge them so that in the morning when she puts them on she presses a couple of buttons, they create a seal to her limbs and off she goes. We are however talking to Jamie's new prosthesis' - did I tell you Jamie has a new prosthesis' and we love him - about getting a pair of swim legs (look out summer) and a pair of running legs (look out runners). We are also in the beginning stages of Jamie getting a bike and this is not as easy as just getting a bike. We have to consider jamie's legs as well as her hands and how is she going to brake - look out runners.
There's a lot to talk about but I guess the most important thing I need to say is that today is World Meningitis Day and tomorrow the 25th will be Texas Meningitis Awareness Day. Jamie and I have reached out to as many people as we could. We've done interviews throughout Texas - been on talk shows - are talking and will be talking to several organizations - we did a public service announcement - next week we will be traveling to south Texas to speak and in a week we will do media outreach in Austin as well as a few events in Dallas. We've come a long way since this horrible disease took over our world but we've also come a long way in bringing awareness. We must remember that this is a vaccine preventable disease. We must not let this happen to anyone again. No child should have to endure the pain and suffering that Jamie has gone through. We must not let the past year go in vain. Help us help others and spread the word - Vaccinate.

No comments: