Tuesday, October 18, 2011

October



Happy Halloween everybody! One of my favorite months because not only does it include my birthday(I'm now 23!), but it's a kick off to the holidays (Spooky Halloween, Yummy Thanksgiving, & Family Gathering Christmas & Hanukkah), and great weather.
Thank you for all the followers that keep coming back to see whats going on in my life. Well this week I'm really excited to fly out to La Jolla, California where I will be competing in the Challenged Athletes Triathlon where I will be riding in the cycling portion. My other teammates are also meningitis survivors that I have met before, so I am also excited to see and catch up with them again. This ride will bring new experiences that I haven't done before like riding on the coast, riding 44 miles, and also to be participating in a triathlon. All new things, but they're thrilling at the same time.
I've been working hard everyday for almost a couple of months. With the hot weather that Texas gets, it localized my training session to my stationary trainer that I use at home. But since it is October, the weather has cooled off and I have been getting on the road with my bike a lot more - Thank goodness.
My bike has done me well over the year (and hopefully many more to come), but what is also exciting is that Im starting a new field in cycling called track. Track racing is a sport usually held on specially built banked tracks or velodromes that can curve at steep angles. I'm starting this sport because when I'm in Guadalajara for the Pan American games, it will give me more opportunities to compete in different races. I'm nervous to start this new part of my career but I'm definitely excited. Not only will the sport be new, but I will also be getting a new bicycle from Bicycling Sports Shop. They've been so generous to me on my cycling adventures, that I definitely owe them a lot of gratitude. Because not only will they sponsor a new track bike, but they were the one's that gave me my red bike. And they have also generously have handed me different articles of cycling clothing from the shop - which are not cheap and neither are the bicycles. With the track bike, it's really important to be aerodynamic, so I will most likely have a carbon fiber frame, with some new wheels. They will be soo light! My current bike weighs approximately 30 lbs, but my new one will be about 15 lbs. I could literally throw it across the room because its so light.
Anyways many more opportunities are coming my way, and I will be there for the ride - no pun intended. Please stay tuned for more post that will be coming. And wish me luck in La, Jolla.


1 comment:

nyamgerel said...

Dear Jamie,
I saw your story from youtube. And I am really proud of you. You are really brave person.And I am really happy that you found you hobby-bicycling. Good luck to your competitions, and wish all the best, happiness to you. And wish you should tell your story to many people, to give them trust to live.
God bless you.