Saturday, February 7, 2009

2/7 Part 2 - Wrapping up day 1

We're almost through Jamie's first day after her amputation surgery. She's become a bit more accepting of what has happened, but she's in way too much pain to realize anything more about it. Physical Therapy came to the room earlier today to test Jamie's range of motion. She didn't like that too much. That was very painful for Jamie. After PT, she had Occupational Therapy come in. OT worked on her range of motion of her upper body in greater detail. That was a bit better. As for now, Jamie phases in and out of consciousness. She's taking a lot of medications and will be doing so until the pain becomes more tolerable. This is still the day after surgery, so its supposed to be the worst day...

Also, I should mention that before, when we were in the ICU, I bitched about how there was only one TV in the ICU. Now, there's two TVs! I guess people listened... now if they could do something about the two gigantic families that are in our waiting room. I can't hear either of the lovely tvs with these people making noise.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am Karen DuPape. I was Jamie's advisor and teacher in 5th grade at Shelton, in Dallas, TX. I heard through another teacher about what was going on with Jamie. I remember that Jamie had a fighting spirit. I enjoyed her so much in my class. She came to visit us a few times after she left Shelton. Please know my prayers are with her and your family. I know she will be given strength to get through all of this. She is a wonderful person. When she is out of ICU and feeling better I would love to come see her. Tell her to catch my hug.

Nick said...

Karen,
Thank you for sending your love. It sounds like you know Jamie well and she still has that fight inside of her. Touch base with us again in a few weeks and we'll see about coming down to visit. I'll tell her to catch your hug. Thanks again.
-Nick

uncle todd said...

god smiled on jamie and the family this week.
thanks

Anonymous said...

To Jamie and Family,
I was watching tv here in south texas when I learned of the situation with Jamie. I tried getting information on her and her condition from the local tv stations. Then they wrote me to try KHOU. Not getting a quick response, I did my own research and found out that she had surgery to help save her. I pray that everything goes well. The human body has it own defense system. But sometimes it needs a little help to heal itself. There are some things that can be done to care for her surgical sites to help prevent further infection.
I will be checking in every now and then.
Hoss

Nick said...

Thanks for following our story, Hoss. Jamie's been very strong, and her attitude has been great the last few days. Let's hope she keeps it up.

The Giorffino's said...

Jamie & Family,

My name is Jennifer and I am good friends with your Aunt Mela in Virginia. She told us about you: we just wanted to let you & your family know we are thinking about you and praying for you. We will continue to check up on you and see how you are doing. Be strong!

The Giorffino Family in VA

Anonymous said...

sunlight, sunlight, sunlight. Take her out of the hospital.

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,

We've had the whole St. Michael's community offering up prayers and sending good wishes your way. My parents in Richmond, VA have put Jamie on their church's prayer list as well. We have a big card that we're working on and some other stuff coming your way, too. Jamie, we're pulling for you in a big way!

Nick, could you please email me? I have a question for you and haven't got your email address. Mine:

guidance@smca.com

Thanks, and Best Healing Wishes,

JC Shakespeare

Lauren Lewis said...

Dear Nick,
My name is Lauren and I went to highschool with Jamie...I was wondering if I could please have your email? Please email me at
LL1191@txstate.edu....I would love to hear from you and would like to email you about some things....

Thank you,
Lauren

Jeff said...

God bless you all. There are more prayers going up for you than you could ever count... and God is listening - always.

mathews said...

Jami,
I want you to know that Meredith and I are keeping you in our prayers. We have been keeping updated via the blog. As you get stronger and stronger, you and Mere can make a bet on the Arkansas vs Texas football game next September. We'll put our "razor sharp tusks" up against your measly little horns!
MaryAnne and Meredith Mathews