Monday, February 9, 2009

Tough day of Many to Come

I realize you have been inundated with information on Jamie but you deserve that we keep you informed with Jamie's progress. Jamie and I are still in ICU - and I'm back in my lovely green recliner chair. I mean seriously I need to have the chair bronzed, we spent many a night together when we first arrived at St Joe. But more importantly we're back with our old friends in ICU and I know Jamie is totally at ease being here. The patient/nurse ratio is 1 to 2 so if and when she needs pain meds they are not far to be had. So if she's comfortable I'm comfortable

Today was not a day that I looked forward to for Jamie. I was dreading this day when we would do the first removal & change of bandages. First I figured it would be painful and it was - according to Jamie it was the most excruciating, painful thing she ever felt. I was not allowed in the room during wound care and I'm sorry to say that I was glad. I feel guilty saying that and although I've seen alot since this horrible illness I just couldn't bear seeing my Jamie going thru this pain. The weight on my heart is to much too bear. But in typical Jamie mode she endured it. So along with her Doctor, doctors assistant, 2 nurses, nurses aide 5 doses of dilaudid, a couple of pushes on her PCA of morphine, it all only took 1 hour. The nurses admitted to me later that it took everything out of them not to cry.

A few new medicines have been added to jamie's smorgasbord of meds. A pill has been added for an infection, another antibiotic for a wound culture that has come back positive. Needless to say the pain meds have been increased. So here it is:
Scheduled Pain Med:
Morphine - 2 mg IV every AM - before wound care
MS Contin - 30 mg oral every PM
Ultram - 50 mg every 6 hours
Lyrica - 75 mg twice a day - this is for phantom pain

PRN Pain Meds/As Needed
Vicodin - 1 tablet every 6 hours
Dilaudid - 0.2 mg IV every hour
Morphine - 2-4 mg IV every hours
Morphine - PCA every 10 minutes (pump)
Remember the 4 above is AS NEEDED. She doesn't need to have it all - all the time

So as you can imagine it seems to be enough to knock out a horse and just enough to manage the pain Jamie is going thru. Unbelievable is a word that comes to mind. More importantly Jamie is comfortable and that's what is important to me. Her heart rate and BP are great considering it all, temp is good, too, and she has an appetite. By the way, her 5 day blood culture (that was drawn Thursday) is still showing negative. Praise God.

There is still a looooooooong road ahead as we enter into this next phase of Jamie's recovery and once again we find ourselves a little overwhelmed. Rehab and prosthesis are just a couple of new items on our list. So if anyone has any knowledge and can help steer us in the right direction we would appreciate it.

Okay - time to go - I'm feeling goofy and just a bit tired. Until tomorrow.
Lots of love back to all of you,

9 comments:

uncle todd said...

only you and your children know the deep pain that few others have had to endure. patsy, you have been down before and your children too. reflect on how much has been done. not the why did this happen, but how much good is happening. reach out to an ever widening circle of new friends to gain perspective and hope and strength. its all around you kiss jamie for us. uncle todd aunt susan

Nick said...

Great post, mom. I'm so glad that you're there for Jamie and able to juggle all these things at once. Very inspirational. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Patsy, Dad & I want you to know that we continue to pray for Jamie. Dad continues to ask about her progress on a regular basis. Your strength, as well as Jamie's is amazing!! When this is all over you two might need some relaxing time in Belize??
Please call me if you need anything. We love you dearly,
Uncle Albert & Gloria

Unknown said...

That was tough to read. Its so hard to hear the pain Jamie is going through right now. You're just as strong and amazing Patsy for all you're going through at her side. I think and pray for you guys constantly. Much love ~ Nicole

melfel said...

Ms. Schanbaum & family - I saw Jamie's story on abcnews.com last week and just cried and cried. All the memories of my baby sister's bout with meningococcal meningitis came flooding back - the 12-hour shifts that my family did in order to always have someone by Mallorie's side around the clock, watching her suffer through the pain, wound care and the eventual amputations…while my sister's amputations weren't as extensive as Jamie's - to some degree, I feel my family can relate. Just know that the Deen family is praying for Jamie's recovery and for strength for all of you. God Bless You – Melanie Deen

Unknown said...

Hi Patsy,
Andi has kept us posted as to the trial and tribulations Jamie, you and your family have had to endure over the past several months.
Your post was incredible . . . showing amazing strength, at an extremely difficult time. The pain you have all had to bear is incomprehensible.
Our hearts go out to all of you - along with our thoughts and prayers.
Our prayers will remain with Jamie.
Much love,
Marlene & Norb Sobek

Anonymous said...

Patsy,

Please don't ever feel that anyone is being inundated with information about Jamie. EVERYONE at St. Michael's is intensely interested in her status, and the amount of people asking about her is truly amazing. Jamie has captured the hearts of all of us here at St. Michael's, and all of you are in our constant thoughts and prayers. There's a big red card coming your way soon, with lots of messages for Jamie.

Stay strong!

JC Shakespeare

Anonymous said...

Hi - I do not know your family but have been following updates and praying for Jamie. I am worried as I have not seen an update since Monday. I pray all is well and Jamie is healing.

Nick said...

Wow. Thank you all for the support and please keep it coming.

I want to respond to everyone's comments individually, and I will in due time.

Anonymous - First, thanks for all of the comments, they've been great (wink). Mom is working on another post as we speak. Things are going about as well as can be expected. A little infection here, a little drama there, but it's nothing we haven't become accustomed to. Mom will have the details soon enough. I'll be down there tomorrow and will post a few of my standard, rambling updates.

Thanks again for everything.
-Nick